Saturday, September 11, 2010

My 22nd Birthday

First I want to thank everyone for all of the birthday wishes from Thursday!  I definitely felt loved all day long!  I haven't been able to update my blog very regularly lately becuase of the Internet connections...you never know when it is going to work properly over here.  So I have a few updates...

On my 22nd birthday, my mom called me at 7am (1am Gerogia time) to wish me a happy birthday before I went to school and that just started off the festivities for the day.  All of the boys at school told me "Happy Birthday Miss Willard" literally EVERY single time they saw me and one of them even brought me flowers.  They are so precious! (most of the time) Of course they devoured the cupcakes that I had made for them too.  We went out for lunch at a local cafe and Ms. Baxen cooked dinner for me and had a cake for all of us.  Overall, I had a great birthday!  It actually feels weird to be 22...for some reason it just makes me feel old!

Mom had also put a few presents in my suitcase before I left so I had some small gifts to open.  The best part though was the card my Aunt Pam made for me!  It said, "Roses are red, Violets are blue, Even though you are in Africa, Happy Birthday to you!"  It's really encouraging to get stuff like that when you're over 9,000 miles from home.  Haley (from Student Life) also sent me a letter in the mail with some pictures which was really sweet too!  Thank you to everyone who helped make my birthday extra special from far away...I got lots of texts (including the one from Daddy at 2am) voice mails, and Facebook messages of course!

Today didn't really feel like I was in South Africa at all.  After sleeping late, Misty and I got up and went shopping in town, out to lunch, ran a few errands and even went to the movies!  It was pretty cool to see an American movie...made me feel at home!  We also got a French press coffee maker and had real coffee (not instant) for the first time in over a month...it was amazing!  I'm still working on updating all the info about my trip and as you can tell it is taking me a while, but I will finish as soon as I get some extra time!

Happy Birthday to the BEST baby brother in the entire world, Michael Willard!  I can't believe you're already 17, but I hope you have an awesome day!  I love and miss you like crazy!

2 comments:

  1. Yahoo! I got a shout out! :)
    But I want to know what movie you saw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Of course you get a shout out!
    They have American movies here too, they are just a little bit older. We saw "Grown Ups" with Adam Sandler but they also had "Inception" and "Knight and Day" and it only cost liek $3!

    ReplyDelete