Monday, October 25, 2010

HUGE Highlight

My life lately has been extrememly intersting!  The short update: Wednesday Leah arrived...another COST student from Minnesota who will soon be my new roomate when Misty leaves.  Thursday I was so lucky to catch one of the stomach viruses that has been spreading through all of my kids at school.  Thankfully that was the first time I have been legitimately sick since being here and it wasn't too bad.  Friday Nichole and April arrived...more COST students both from Michigan.  All of the new girls are so sweet and it's nice to have a few American faces around who at least sort-of know what I'm talking about (although they're all Yankees!)
Saturday begins the excitement!  Leah and I woke up early and went to rent a car for the weekend.  You would not believe how much freedom I felt when driving a car for the first time in 3 months...it was a bit ridiculous!  We paid a little extra to get an automatic becuase we only wanted to change one variable at a time (they drive on the opposite side of the road here.)  Of course I was the one who was nominated to drive becuase I've been here the longest and am actually quite used to it now.  We came back to the house, picked everyone up and headed to Addo National Park for our version of a game drive. 
Seriously, how awesome is that!?

After being there for a few hours we hadn't had very much luck (the weather was drizzly and not very warm) We stopped for a bathroom break and happened to ask a random stranger if he had seen a lion...he had!  He told us where to go and low and behold...there were 5 lions laying about 35 feet from us!  It was absolutely INSANE!  If you didn't know, I have wanted to see a lion the entire time that I have been here but had somewhat lost hope.  There are people who have lived here their entire lives who have never seen one...but now I have!  It was amazing!
He looks so peaceful...
  
Sunday we woke up to rain yet again but decided to head to Port Elizabeth anyways with the hopes of the market being open...it wasn't!  Since it's an outdoor market, they didn't brave the rain.  We were able to find a few shops (where I bought some cool gifts) and meet up with Andile who gave us a tour of the surrounding townships which was really eye opening. It was really neat to be able to hear the perspective of a local who has grown up living there. 

Random event: We stopped at the gas station to get gas (imagine that!?)  In South Africa they pump your gas (petrol as they say) for you in order to provide the economy with more jobs.  After giving the attendant our money, he went in to the shop to get our change.  He came back with the money and a random, free Sprite!  We still have no idea why I got a Sprite or even if I somehow paid for it.  He handed it to me and we all just kind of looked at each other.  As we drove away we all busted out laughing, completely clueless...it was a nice refresher though! 
Here you can tell how close they really were - the car window is in the bottom right corner and I did not zoom in at all for this picture!  You can see 4 of them laying on the ground.

Tonight is Misty's last night in South Africa...she will be heading back to the States tomorrow!  We had a farewell dinner for her and it was really sad.  It also made me realize how little time I have left here as well.  Misty...I have had a wonderful experience herewith you and you will definitely be missed!  Thanks for everything!        


P.S. I do have lots of other cool pics from the weekend but none were as good as these!

1 comment: