Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Road Trip to Cape Town

I got to go back to Cape Town this weekend and it was amazing...I could totally live there!  The weather was spectacular and I could not have asked for more beautiful days; it was perfect the entire time we were there.  Because it was half-term, we had Friday and Monday off of school and we spontaneously decided to go!  I was in Cape Town for like 1 day before we left to go on our safari but I did not get my fill.  Zane had some friends to visit plus I wanted to go back = awesome last minute rode trip!

Our gorgeous view of Table Mountain overlooking the horse racing practice track

Friday morning we got up early to make the 9 hour drive across the country (well actually Zane made the drive and I just rode because I can't drive a manual.)   We stopped at a few cool places along the way and had an amazing view the entire time.  Because of the awesome landscape and beautiful scenery, that part of the road is known as the Garden Route.  We arrived in the city about 5 pm and went to a braai that some of Zane's friends were having.

2 of the lovely ladies who took care of us (Julia and Danielle) at Sports Day

Saturday morning we went to a local prep school's Sports Day: soccer, net ball, and ping pong!  Julia (one of our wonderful hosts) is a first year teacher so we went to watch a little bit.  It was really cool to see her classroom and the school as well as all of the students at a government school.  That afternoon we went to Hout Bay for some authentic "fish and chips" and a wonderful view!  We visited the beach, did some sight-seeing, and of course a little shopping as well.  That night the girls invited some friends over for dinner because we were there and then we went out for a night on the town!

Zane and I in Hout Bay (isn't it beautiful!?)

Sunday we went up to Table Mountain!  We rode the cable car up to the top of the mountain (much like Stone Mountain) and spent a few hours walking on the trails and taking in the fantastic views.  Because the weather was so clear, you could see for miles and miles...it was absolutely stunning!  I could have stayed up there for the rest of my life.  That afternoon we went for sushi with some of Zane's friends and a little more shopping.  We went to one of the shopping centers that night and then out to dinner.

The view of Cape Town from the top of Table Mountain

Monday morning when we woke up, there was a complete change in the weather...you couldn't even see the mountain because of all the clouds!  The weather had been perfect just for our trip (that's my mindset anyway!)  We then headed back to Grahamstown the Great after an absolutely awesome weekend!

The food court inside the shopping center (notice the McDonald's and Subway)

Last night after returning from Cape Town, I called my Daddy to let him know I was still alive! The first thing he said to me was, "Guess what...you will be home in 21 days." I was speechless! Time has absolutely flown by since I have been here and if I have to be honest, I'm not ready to leave. Although I will be ecstatic to see people from home, I really do love it here and this weekend made me love it even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment