Monday, August 9, 2010

1st Day @ School

I started at the school today and absolutely LOVED it!  After being in the classroom for 5 minutes, I was completely obsessed!  Their British accents, adorable uniforms, and funny personalities won me over instantly.  I was placed in Mrs. Hobson's Grade 4 Class of 27 boys, ages 9-10.  They are all so polite, cute, and sweet!  I cannot wait to get to know them better.  It is very different being in a classroom with only boys but I think that I'm really going to enjoy it a lot.

All of the staff was so welcoming and nice as well.  My mentor teacher introduced me to every person we saw as, "This is Ms. Willard, she's from America."  It was really weird hearing that outloud actually but everyone thought it was so cool.  My mentor teacher, Mrs. Hobson, is extrememly nice and very cooperative.  She was willing to allow me to do anything that I need to do and seemed excited to have me in the classroom.

The students and teachers love to tell me stories about things that they know about America, family that they have there, etc.  It was very interesting to hear them talk about American things such as the movie "Grease" and Olivia Newton John.  They also knew Dolly Pardon and had sets of Judy Blume books in the library.  It was interesting to see how much that they know about "American society" and how little I know about "South African society." 

Oh and by the way...it is FREEZING COLD here!  Well it's really like in the low 50's but coming from the Georgia summer heat I feel like I've entered a blizzard!  There is no heating or air conditioning in any of the houses or the school so I have been extrememly cold.  I wore 4 layers and my leggings to school today and I was still cold.  It is ridiculous!
Today was an amazing 1st day (except for the cold) and hopefully it is only going to get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment