Thursday, August 12, 2010

1st Time for Everything

1st Lesson Taught - I taught my 1st math lesson today and it went wonderfully!  The students participated really well and my mentor teacher seemed to like it too.  I introduced the students to the concept of symmetry and we were able to do some hands on activities that they loved.  The surprising thing is, the school has very limited resources when it comes to manipulatives...I had to create my own.  Right before my lesson Mr. Plescia brought in a set of pattern blocks so I was able to demonstrate to the students, which was really nice.  It has definitely made me realize how fortunate the schools in America are when it comes to available resources.  On the other hand, I have also realized that you don't have to have all of the "bells and whistles" of teaching in order for students to be able to learn.   No matter what resources are available, an excellent teacher is the top priority and that is exactly what I hope to become! I will be doing the follow up lesson tomorrow and hopefully it will go just as smoothly. I have to admit, I am definitely ready for the weekend.  Especially Saturday morning when I will hopefully get to sleep in late!

1st Clothesline Experience - Ms. Baxen has a lady who comes and cleans her house, does her laundry, etc. for her everyday.  Although I sometimes feel weird when I come home to a made-up bed and straightened up clothes, I must admit it is VERY nice!  Maureen (the cleaning lady) came into my room this afternoon and asked if I needed any clothes washed.  Of course I did but was a little reluctant to make her wash my clothes too.  I finally gave in and this is the result...

My clothes hanging out to dry! (Including my zebra pj pants!)

When I got back home from school prep, I that is what I saw hanging outside.  I couldn't help but to laugh out loud!  Don't get me wrong though, I am very thankful for clean clothes, especially since I didn't have to wash them myself!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I am glad you are there to teach these kids that seem to really want to learn. I wish education was as important in America as it once was. Your picture of the clothesline brought back memories of my childhood. We didn't have a dryer until I was somewhere in my teens. I used to hang out the clothes and then go gather them when they were dry. The clothes seem to feel more fresh somehow - being dried by the sun and wind. Thanks for this blog. I enjoy reading your posts.

    Ray Smith

    ReplyDelete