Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Busy as a Bee

Today was an extremely busy day...I feel like it completely flew by!  It was either warmer or I'm beginning to get used to the weather, or maybe a combination of both, but either way I didn't freeze to death today.  And school was wonderful!  I took over my teacher's section of study hall for an hour so I got to know the students much better after being with them by myself.  Basically I just love them! 

Apparently in South Africa no one eats lunch at school unless it is one of the students who boards (lives) their...everyone just goes home and then returns an hour later.  So I got the experience to go to my mentor teacher's house for lunch and meet her family.  They were all so extrememly nice!  Her husband is a teacher at the high school and they live in a townhome type place that is provided by the school.  It is apparent that school is MUCH more important here than it is in America, that's for sure!  

I definitely learned a lot more about what I will be doing this semester that's for sure.  I was informed that I will be helping with sports next term after our break and they needed someone to help with the high jump.  I don't really know if it is the same as high jump in America but I'm excited to be able to get so involved.  My teacher also asked me if I would teach a math lesson about symmetry on Thursday and continue it on Friday.  I was shocked that she was asking me to teach a lesson already but definitely excited!  And I got to do the glorious job of grading papers for a little while today as well. 

I got to do a little bit of exploring the city today as well.  After walking home from school, Misty (the other COST student) and I wandered into town to buy some groceries to cook dinner for Ms. Baxen and Aegan.  The city was very busy!  It actually looks like a scene out of a movie with the house covered hills all around.  I desperately need to take some pictures!

Another really cool thing about the school is that it is Christian!  In music today the students were singing songs like, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and talking about the Bible stories they related to.  On their bulliten boards they have verses of scripture that they had written and illustrated as well.  It just provided a little bit more assurance that I'm exactly where God wants me to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment