Thursday, August 19, 2010

On Holiday!

Today was the last day of the term!  It is really weird to think that I am getting to go on a break after being here for just 2 weeks.  The boys are definitely excited about it and I'm looking forward to sleeping late in the morning that is for sure! The had a final assembly today where all of the parents came and they gave out all of the awards for the term.  It was really interesting to see what all they do; handwriting competetions, drawing competetions, an academic bowl, etc.  And of course your typical sports awards and honor roll (which hey call Full House!) 

The really neat thing is that the entire school is divided up into houses...just like Harry Potter!  There are the Lions, Tigers, and Griffin.  Each house is awarded points for various activities that the students participate in and at the end of each term the house with the most points wins the House Cup (the most coveted award!)  The boys really get team spirited during different activities and I think it is a really good way to get all of the boys, no matter their age, working together.  The teachers are also divided up into what house they support as well.  It definitely provides some friendly competetion!

After school I spent over an hour trying to get some of my money converted over into Rand (South African curency).  In case you were wondering $1 U.S. Dollar = around 7.5 Rand.  Needless to say, I feel like I am spending so much more money here!  Lots of things are more expensive though, especially clothes and personal stuff like lotion, shampoo, etc.  Luckily I brought enough of all of that to last me until November...hopefully!

Side note...Skype is AMAZING! 

1 comment: