Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weekend Rivalry

This weekend has been a flashback to high school...in a good way!  In Grahamstown there are 2 major private schools, St. Andrews (where I am) and Kingswood, and they are major rivals.  All of the students get really into all of the competetion and their parents do as well.  It's even fun at the house I'm staying at because Aegean attends Kingswood and of course I have to root for St. Andrews!

On Friday, I witnessed my first field hockey game when I went to watch some of my students play.  It was very neat to see some of my kids on the field and witness a sport that I have never seen...it was really intense.  I also got to see some of the older students, so I got a more accurate idea of the game.  This was all a part of the big rivalry weekend as well!

Some of my students playing field hockey!

Saturday was called "K-Day" and although I have no idea what that stands for, it was really fun!  The highlight was definitely the rugby game.  I think everyone from this town and every surrounding town was at the game cheering for their team.  It was just like a high school football game and I loved it! The students had painted their faces (while sporting their dress uniforms of course!) and were extrememly into the game.  Although I still don't understand the rules, I really enjoyed the game and St. Andrews won!

The rugby match!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren- It was so good to hear your voice today! Glad you are doing well and were able to have such a wonderful experience today... well, such great experiences all week!! I'm enjoying reading your blog and look forward to seeing/reading about all of the wonderful things God has in store for you throughout the remainder of your stay! Be safe- love ya! ~Becca

    ReplyDelete