Sunday, August 8, 2010

Let the Games Begin!

After many requests, I am starting a blog so that everyone can keep up with me while I am in South Africa!  I know it's not super cute yet but it will be once I get the hang of all this as well as some time to work on it.

In case you don't know...
I am in Grahamstown, South Africa from August 5 - November 9 to do my student teaching.  I will be working at a school called St. Andrews Junior Prep and living with a family there.  Many people think that I am crazy for doing this but I really think that this is exactly where God wants me to be!

After traveling for 36 hours I finally arrived in Grahamstown, South Africa.  I had a 16 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, a 15 hour layover, a 1 1/2 hour flight to Port Elizabth, and finally an hour shuttle ride to Grahamstown.  It was extremely long, lonely, and definitely tiring but it was well worth it when I finally arrived.  The only problem was, my luggage did not arrive with me!  I was told that I was supposed to go through customs in Johannesburg in order for them to send it to Port Elizabeth...of course they tell me this after the fact.  As of now I have 2 tshirts, a pair of shorts, and a pair of running pants; all of which have already been worn once.  Thankfully I did have my computer, camera, medicine, etc on my carry on!  After dealing with the airlines (with much help from my Mom) it is supposed to be arriving today!  

The house I am staying in is a cute little cottage type house with my coordinator, Ms. Jean Baxen and her 17 year old son, Agean.  Misty, who is doing the same program as I am, will be arriving this afternoon and becoming my roommate.  Ms. Baxen is re-doing the "guest house" and hopefully it will be ready for us to move in next week.  There will definitely be pictures to come very soon!

I begin at St. Andrews at 7:00am in the morning and I'm extrememly excited!  Well not about the early mornings...haha!  I got an email yesterday from my mentor teacher and I will begin my teaching in Grade 4, which if it is like the U.S. is my favorite grade so far!

I think that's all for now...I am going to do my best to keep up with this as often as possible so that everyone will know what is going on over here! 

Just know that I love you all and miss you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment